Sunday, July 29, 2012

While in Shediac...

Shediac, is a beach community just outside of Moncton, NB. It's very busy in the summer because of tourists and Parlee Beach is close by.

It's a seafood kinda town, being so close to the ocean and all. Its the lobster capital of the world. There's even a giant lobster there! (not real, stop worrying).

I had never had fried clams before. I didn't really know what to expect. I have seen clams in clam chowder and in linguine with but fried? Hmmm... intriguing. I love fried stuff. I love seafood. I love doing things distinct to the area. Let's do it!

As a side note, I didn't realize this until I spent some time in New Brunswick but there are a lot of French speaking people there. Like a lot! ( including my boyfriend ) They like to say their dialect is a mix of French and English but don't believe them - I know both French and English and what they speak is a whole other language of its own! Sneaky secret language! I say this because one of the pictures is a sign written in french - "coque frites" which means fried clams! I bet you didn't realize you would learn some french today. This is a very educational blog!!

We went to a place called "The Lobster Deck". I've passed by it a million times but had never gone in. It's a order at the counter kind of place and then they call your number and you go and grab it. It's got a nice vibe to it. Feels like a family operated place with down home kind of people.

We ordered a large fried clam platter with fries (what goes better with something fried? well, something else fried of course). It comes with coleslaw and tartar sauce. You can see in the picture below that it was a HUGE portion of clams. They come from somewhere local which is very cool. I love eating local because it feels like that's what we are meant to do.

I had a beer with it. At lunchtime! I'm crazy! The clams were very good. They had a distinct, yet mild flavour and were very fresh. I'd go back in a heartbeat. Next time you are in Shediac, you've got to go to experience something local, distinct and delicious! Careful though. There's a giant lobster there...

No comments: