Monday, October 10, 2011

DANFORTH PIZZA!!! (Toronto, ON)

My friends Matt and Chelsea recommended another spot on the Danforth in Toronto. This place is one of the most misleading places. If you walked by it, you would keep walking, based on its sign. Here is a photo of the sign - notice the phone number is unreadable and it looks about a hundred years old. And with no disrespect - the owner of Danforth Pizza himself looks like he's almost as old as the sign.



I really don't mean that comment about his age with any disrespect at all. Just the opposite. I am so impressed that this man, who, is probably in his late 70's runs The Danforth Pizza on his own. The business hours are from 5pm to 9pm and if he's too busy to answer the phone and take any more orders he lets it ring! It goes to show you - make something exceptionally good and you don't need anything fancy, high tech and you can be open only 4 hours a day and not answer the phone if you don't feel like it. My 13 year old niece could learn a bit from this guy about putting her phone down once in a while.

Here's a photo of the guy looking bewildered that I am holding an IPOD Touch in his face. . .



... I don't blame him for giving me this look. It's kind of rude of me to not explain before I took the photo. I hadn't planned on taking so many pictures but he and his place were so fascinating and unique I acted before I thought about it. I explained to him that I took a picture of him and his pizza because I wanted to write about him and his pizza because I had heard such awesome things. He said to me " this is your first time?" and I said "yeah" and he just smiled as if I was about to eat heaven with sauce and pepperoni on it.

Here is what I am talking about when I say he was old school. Here's a pic of his "cash register"!!!



This really felt like I was going back in time. It was amazing food but also an experience. An event. Something to be inspired by.



The pizza itself was hot in the box - right out of the oven. I carried it on my lap while my friend Chelsea drove us back to her house. The smell in the car and the heat on my lap added to the anticipation. It reminded me of being a kid. Maybe that's because there wasn't as much delivery back then. I love the attitude. - You want my food? You come and get it then! You like it so much ya lazy bum? Get off your but and get it. It's the least you can do since I'm making it for you.

The pizza was so fresh. Homemade taste. Not too rich, tomato sauce was light and something he has clearly perfected over the years and the ingredients were not processed. Danforth Pizza and the owner are the real deal. I highly recommend going there for the pizza and for the reminder that maybe sometimes the best way of doing things is the old school simple way that has worked for generations.

No comments: